“There is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to fertility care. Every treatment plan should be customized to specifically suit each woman’s body and based on individual needs. I strongly believe that everyone has the right to access fertility care, regardless of their age, ovarian reserve, or financial status. “
Jie Deng, M.D., Ph.D., H.C.L.D., FACOG
Dr. Deng is a double trained specialist in both Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) and Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM). She had her M.D. and Ph.D. degrees in China, and practiced REI in China before doing additional training at Yale and Stanford University. When Dr Deng was in China, she was among the first gynecology reproductive endocrinologists to use preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) in clinical practice, and she achieved the first clinical PGD pregnancy for patients with alpha-thalassemia in the country in 2005.
Dr. Deng relocated to the United States in 2008 where she was awarded a California Institute of Regenerative Medicine research Grant and worked in the field of stem cell research at University of California in San Diego. Subsequently Dr. Deng completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University. After residency she was trained and worked as a Maternal-fetal Medicine (MFM) specialist at Yale University. The experience in the MFM field provided Dr. Deng vast special knowledge and skills in high-risk pregnancy care, which attracted many advanced age high risk infertility patients. When Dr. Deng was at Stanford University REI fellowship program, she observed limitations of conventional IVF in many women, and she has been actively applying individualized fertility treatment including ‘Mild-IVF’ to her patients and achieved pregnancies in otherwise ‘hopeless cases’.
Dr. Deng is also fully trained as an embryologist and is currently one of a handful of reproductive endocrinologists in the United States to be certified as a High Complexity Lab Director (H.C.L.D.) in Embryology. Her unique background and expertise with the clinical and embryology laboratory provide Dr. Deng with the extensive skill and knowledge that are necessary in treating challenging fertility cases.
Dr. Deng is a physician scientist. She published a variety of peer-reviewed articles in the fields of reproductive health, genetics, epigenetics, and stem cells in journals such as Nature Medicine, Nature Genetics, Nature Methods, Fertility & Sterility, Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, Molecular Human Reproduction, Prenatal Diagnosis, Genome Research, Cell Stem Cell and Molecular Cells.
Fellowship – Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, Stanford Reproductive & Fertility Health, Sunnyvale, CA USA
Fellowship – Maternal Fetal Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT USA
Residency – Obstetrics and Gynecology, Detroit Medical Center, Wayne state university, Detroit, MI USA
Research Fellow – California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM), Bioengineering
Department, University of California in San Diego, La Jolla, CA USA
M.D., Ph.D. – Zhongshan University (Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences), Guangzhou, China
Peer reviewed original research:
Clinical Fertility and Reproductive Treatment
- Deng J, Zhao QY, Behr B, Lathi RB. (2021) The impact of fertilization modality to aneuploidy. Fertility & Sterility Report February 2021.
- Deng J, Hong H, Zhao QY, Sogol A, Nadgauda A, Behr B, Lathi RB. (2020) Preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy in poor ovarian responders with four or fewer eggs retrieved. Journal of Assisted Reproductive Genetics. 37(5): 1147–1154.
- Deng J, Zhao QY, Cinnioglu C, Kayali R, Lathi R, Behr B. (2020) The impact of culture conditions on blastocyst formation and aneuploidy rates: a comparison between single-step and sequential media in a large academic practice. Journal of Assisted Reproductive Genetics. 37(1): 161-169.
- Deng J, Mueller M, Geng T, Shen Y, Liu Y, Hou P, Ramillapalli R, Taylor HS, Paidas M, Huang Y. (2017) H19 lncRNA-induced epigenetic programming of hepatic gluconeogenic gene expression in metformin exposed fetus. H19 lncRNA alters methylation and expression of Hnf4α in the liver of metformin-exposed fetuses. Cell Death Dis. 7;8(12).
- Huang B, Faucette A, Pawlitz D, Pei B, Goyert J, Zhou JZ, El-Hage N, Deng J, Colonna M & Chen K. (2017) Interleukin-33-induced expression of progesterone-induced blocking factor 1 by decidual B cells protects against preterm labor. Nature Medicine 2017 23 (1): 128-135.
- Deng J, Copel J. (February 2016) Vasa Previa: How to prevent an OB emergency. Contemporary OB & GYN.
Stem Cell Research & Sequencing Technology
- Xu Y, Wu F, Tan L, Kong L, Xiong L, Deng J, Barbera AJ, Zheng L, Zhang H, Huang S, Min J, Nicholson T, Chen T, Xu G, Shi Y, Zhang K, Shi YG. (2011). Genome-wide regulation of 5hmC, 5mC, and gene expression by Tet1 hydroxylase in mouse embryonic stem cells. Molecular Cell 42(4): 451-64.
- Shoemaker R*, Deng J*(co-first author), Wang W, Zhang K (2010). Allele-specific methylation is prevalent and is contributed by CpG-SNPs in the human genome. Genome Research 20 (7): 883-9.
- Zhang K, Li J, Gao Y, Egli D, Xie B, Deng J, Li A, Lee J, Aach J, Leproust E, Eggan K, Church G. (2009). Digital RNA Allelotyping Reveals Tissue-specific and Allele-specific Gene Expression in Human. Nature Methods 6(8):613-8, 2009.
- Deng J, Shoemaker R, Xie B, et al. Targeted bisulfite sequencing reveals changes in DNA methylation associated with nuclear reprogramming. (2009) Nature Biotechnology 27(4): 353-60.
- Chen AE, Egli D,Niakan K, Deng J, Akutsu H, Yamaki M, Cowan C, Zhang K, Melton DA & Eggan K. (2009) Optimal timing of inner cell mass isolation increases the efficiency of human embryonic stem cell derivation and allows generation of sibling cell lines. Cell Stem Cell 4(2): 103-6, 2009.
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis
- Xu YW, Zeng YH, Deng J, Liu Y, Gao L, Zhou CQ, Zhuang GL. (2009) Preimplantation genetic diagnosis for alpha-thalassaemia in China. J Assist Reprod Genet, 26(7):399-403.
- Ren Z, Zeng HT, Xu YW, Zhuang GL, Deng J, Zhang C, Zhou CQ. (2009) Preimplantation genetic diagnosis for Duchenne muscular dystrophy by multiple displacement amplification. Fertil & Steril. Feb; 91(2):359-64.
- Ren Z, Zhou C, Xu Y, Deng J, Zeng H, Zeng Y. (2007) Mutation and haplotype analysis for Duchenne muscular dystrophy by single cell multiple displacement amplification. Mol Hum Reprod, 13(6): 431 – 436.
- Deng J, Peng WL, Li J et al. (2006) Successful Preimplantation genetic diagnosis for alpha-and beta-thalassemia in China. Prenatal Diagnosis, 26(11): 1021-1028.
- Deng J, Peng WL, Li J et al. (2005) Successful preimplantation genetic diagnosis for alpha-thalassemia using fluorescent polymerase chain reaction. Chinese Journal of Medicine, 85 (38): 2682-5.
- Deng J, Zhuang GL, Peng WL et al. (2005) Closely linked polymorphic marker: Successful application in preimplantation genetic diagnosis for beta-thalassemia. Chinese Journal of Medical Genetics, 22 (4): 391-5.
- Deng J, Zhuang GL, Peng WL et al. (2005) Successful preimplantation genetic diagnosis for beta-thalassemia using multiplex nested polymerase chain reaction. Chinese Journal of Medicine, 85 (12): 811-5.
- Deng J, Zhuang GL, Zhou CQ et al. (2004) Fluorescent PCR for Detection of alpha-Thalassemia Genes in Single cells. J Sun Yat-Sen University (Medical Science), 25(2): 131-134.
- Zhuang GL & Deng J Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis. (2003) Int J Gynecol & Obstet, 82: 419-423.
- J Deng, Liu X, Liu Y et al. Evaluation of red cell mean corpuscular volume and single tube red cell osmotic fragility quantitative test in detection of thalassemia. (2000) Chinese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 35(10): 610-612.