IVF stands for In-vitro Fertilization. It is a process where eggs are retrieved from ovaries and combined with sperm in a culture dish in a lab. Eggs that fertilize become embryos and are transferred to the uterus. If the embryo grows and develops in your uterus, you will take your baby home nine months later.
There are many different IVF ovarian stimulation protocols. Unlike many fertility centers that mainly offer conventional IVF, we specialize in mild IVF and natural IVF, as well as conventional IVF.
1. We choose the best treatment protocol tailored to you. Our goal is to help you achieve as many high-quality eggs as possible while avoid unnecessary medication and treatment, thus saving your expenses. This involves a thorough evaluation of your fertility potential, prescriptions of a series of oral medication or injections, performing office ultrasound, and lab testing to monitor your egg growth until they are ready for retrieval.
2. We collect the eggs from your ovaries by a simple egg retrieval procedure. We use a much smaller needle than other fertility centers during retrieval, resulting in a safter and less painful experience. Local anesthesia is typically adequate, and most women can walk out and drive home after procedure. If you need or wish to use IV sedation, it is available.
3. On the same day of retrieval, your partner collects semen in our office. Our laboratory will prepare the sample, enrich the most viable sperm and combine the sperm with your egg
4. If the eggs fertilize, they become embryos and we grow them for 5-7 days to the blastocyst stage. Our goal is to create as many high-quality embryos as possible. Genetic testing of the embryo may be recommended case by case. Our state-of-the-art IVF laboratory, highly experienced expert scientists and embryologists provide you with the highest possible chance of success.
5. We choose the best quality embryo and transfer the embryo to your uterus. The transfer can be performed 3 or 5 days after egg retrieval (fresh transfer) or in another cycle (frozen transfer). If you have surplus embryos after fresh transfer, we will freeze them for you to use in the future. We will choose the right timing and transfer protocol that is tailored to your situation.
6. We will get you to do a blood test to see if you are pregnant 9-11 days after embryo transfer. Those 9-11 days can feel like an eternity and could be difficult. We have stress management specialists who can help and support you.
You might be anxious, especially if this is your first IVF treatment. Some common worries are about taking the medication by oneself, but they are easy to manage, particularly with our mild stimulation protocol.
Our team is here for you throughout your treatment. We will guide you and make sure you understand each step of the process, and that you have the information and help you need.
Find out more about our different approach of IVF treatment here.